Pedram's stream of consciousness

Sunday, March 11, 2007

300 omissions, errors, and lies

The movie 300 depicts an epic battle where 300 Spartans battle and defeat a million Persian soldiers (from what I hear since I didn't see the movie, nor do I plan to). The movie is based on a comic book which is a major modification of the writing of Herodotus. Herodotus has been called by many the father of history but he is also known by many as the father of lies because his accounts of Greek history contradicts other non-biased historians of the time. So the movie is a box office hit but most Persians are really upset about the movie. There are online petitions and discussion groups, and blah blah blah of people getting really bent out of shape.

Here is my thinking (for what it's worth). Movies like this are only going to influence individuals with a pre-existing bias. In my mind the point isn't to sway these people in a different direction because it is going to require so much work and energy to guide the misguided our grandchildren's grandchildren will still be working on it. I just don't want my $8 going to support this movie making machine that rapes and pillages everyone. When I say everyone I mean EVERYONE! Cowboys, Indians (with feathers), Indians (with dots), Mexicans, Africans, Asians, lawyers, doctors, left handed people, cab drivers, midgets, giants, the blind, the deaf, the blind and the deaf, etc. You name it, the movie industry has found a way to twist the facts and make bite sized chunks of digestible crap for the masses to consume.

They say the pen is mightier than the sword but in the fist fight of bombs vs. bits the movie camera will always come out on top. The only way to not get the mental s**t kicked out of yourself is to question what you see but also see what you question. If you don't question your own assumptions and consider that maybe, just maybe, you could be wrong about something that you believe so strongy then you leave no room for growth. So my original statement that I am not going to see the movie wasn't actually correct. I am going to see the movie but not in theatres, I am going to wait until someone I know buys the DVD and then I will watch it and revisit this debate with myself.

2 Comments:

  • Lovely man

    I think skepticism towards others and your own self is required for rational decision making. I think from that, we may have chance against our own biases to overcome them.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:12 AM  

  • Really good

    Nick

    By Blogger NICK, at 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home