Pedram's stream of consciousness

Sunday, February 04, 2007

God and football

I just saw a very exciting Superbowl 41 with my wife, parents, parents-in-law, and dad's cousin's family. The Bears who were the underdogs coming in started off hot and heavy by returning the first kickoff with a touchdown. As the weather pounded down on them the Colts followed suite and ended up winning the game. When the head coach and owner both accepted the Lombardi trophy they started talking about how it was because of God that they had such fortune and blah blah blah and it made me so mad. They made it sound like God was the reason for their fortune, by that logic should the other team be sitting in their locker room cursing God? What about the people in Florida who lost everything they had, including their lives, from the recent tornadoes? Should those people, excluding those that died, look up at the sky and give God the finger?

Too often people attribute their good fortune to a divine force that guided them through their struggles and tribulations. No, God did not cause the Bears to fumble the ball over and over again and for their quarterback to throw interceptions. It was the rain and an inexperienced quarterback......

Can someone please help us? No, not you God!

2 Comments:

  • Heh, that was an exciting game (up until those 2 interceptions in the 4th quarter!).

    I think people who end up on the short end of the stick often say/think "God must be presenting me with this hardship/game loss/<insert random depressing act here> for a reason. I should not question his ways and lose faith, for if I do, Satan has defeated me." Something along those lines, anyway!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:35 AM  

  • I agree that GOD likely did not do anything to assist one team or the other. It clearly says in the Bible that he is not a respecter of persons in this regard, since it was a meaningless game (in the grand scheme of things -- don't agree, think fast, Who lost the Superbowl two years ago?)

    My problem with your post is that, although your opinion is yours, I think equally, the coaches and players have their own opinions. Personally, I believe in God and that God has helped me. Furthermore, I can understand where the players and coaches are coming from. After all, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

    Not to be cynical here, but as a side note, it is disturbing the number of athletes that attribute a successful play, game, run...etc, to the Lord when many of them may not completely understand why they should do that or not. It's become the "in" thing to do... beat that chest and point up.

    By Blogger - Jarvis, at 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home