Pedram's stream of consciousness

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Back to backgammon

As a kid my dad taught me to play backgammon and I thought it was a fun game but I never really got into it. I remember when I grandfather came from Iran to stay with us I would play backgammon with him quite a bit but parts of my personality would sneak its way into my strategy and make it impossible for me to win. For example, I would never kill one of his pieces because... well because he is my grandfather and it isn't nice. He would of course correct my mistake of a move and play my hand for me in instances like that.

Recently I got back into backgammon and have gotten interested in learning actual strategy for winning. Since it is a two person game there are times when I want to play but can't find an opponent but thankfully I found a cool website for playing online http://www.gammonempire.com/.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Pedram, I'm interested to read your comment about your unwillingness to use killer instinct against your grandfather. I know exactly what you mean. I have to really force myself to win against my young son at any game. I know it's good for him to learn that you can't always win, how to be a good loser and so on...but even so, it's so hard to see that disappointment in his eyes!

    I wonder if those who are really good at any game are somehow less humane in general?? Interesting topic for a future article!

    Mai
    The Backgammon Guide

    By Blogger Mai, at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home