Pedram's stream of consciousness

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rock climbing

Last night I took a class on belaying. Belaying is the process where you maintain a support rope for a climber so that if the climber falls they don't die. At some point in the class the instructor told me to climb up this wall that is about 25-30 feet high and once I was at the top he said to "let go of the rocks and just lean back" at this point I remembered that I am afraid of heights and had the hardest time letting go. But once I did, they got me to the ground and I got over that fear.

After the hour long class I went climbing with my friend Chris and it was so much fun! At first I was a bit hesitant to go rock climbing because I didn't think I would be able to do it because of my weight. Indoor climbing gyms have a rating system for how difficult a climb is 5 being easy and 13 being the most difficult. At first I did a few 5 courses but they were too easy so I tried more difficult climbs and climbed an 8+ in difficulty. Afterwards, I did pullups until my arms felt like jelly.

If you can't tell, I really had a fun time and got some good exercise. I'm thinking of joining this gym and climbing a few times a week.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home